Friday, November 7, 2008

Politics

In our day and age, politics are really interesting. Things seem to be much more black and white when looking at political history. The issues of Abraham Lincoln’s day were much more cut and dry. I notice that during this election I was very purple—I voted blue and red across the board. As a matter of fact, I didn’t come to a solid decision on many things until I was looking at the names and issues on the screen in the polling booth. I feel that the reason for this is simple, but complex. First: the Democrats have a tendency of being enablers. They seem to rescue too much. Maybe it is their bleeding heart stance on things (which isn’t a bad thing), but some of their policies seem to do more harm than good. For instance, their welfare policy… I believe that it takes power away from people, because they are essentially giving out fishes, instead of teaching people to fish… as the old saying goes. Second: the Republican’s have this belief that if they give the rich tax breaks, that it will benefit the poor... strange logic. Many of the rich are rich because they are also greedy. Why would someone who is greedy want to give a poor person a break? “That isn’t capitalism”. There were many other things about this past election which confused me. I will talk more about some of my other confusions with my next entry.

No comments: