Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Avoiding the Pitfall

I met with a cleint today who was struggling with the concept of hope. He stated that he felt that he would not make it to the Celestial World. Though he has made sacred covenants, completed his ordinances, and has been striving to live a good Christian life, he still felt that he wouldn't make it. I found that he was believing the distortions that the adversary was sending to him, because he had been filtering his life through the lense of shame. We processed how we keep the commandments of God to protect ourselves from the influence of the adversary--essentially to keep us from allowing the adversary to convince us that we are hopeless. When we sin, we give Satan the power to convince us that we are without hope, because when we transgress, he now has the evidence to convince us that we are hopeless (though this is a lie)--this is why we must repent immediately, so that we can tell Satan that he has an invalid argument. We must believe the Savior's words and works, we can all make it if we believe Him--more than just believe in Him and in his Atonement, but truly believe HIM!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was truly an inspired post. I am grateful that you were able to find the time to post. I too have struggled with the concept of hope, and admit that I still do. I too have made covenants and done all that I have been asked to do, and still feel that I come up short. I have come to the conclusion that I will accept whatever "degree of Glory" that I am given. The day that this post was written I was stuggling in particular with some Gospel Principles. I will be honest, I even researched how to remove my name from the records of the Church. The sad truth is that although I still struggle with some Gospel Principles, my religion is all I know. The world is "dark" right now, and I struggle daily to find some "light". Yes, the adversary is really twisting my thoughts and that is when I have to seek for those that I am learning to trust and hope that they will help me find some "light". I am not saying this is an easy thing to do, but even some flicker of light I have to take that courageous step forward. There are days where I go two steps forward and then 1 step back. Faith is a very "scary" concept and one that does not come easily, especially to one that struggles with Trust. Every day is a challenge. I am very grateful that you would share this, and I am grateful for that client that was able to share these thoughts with you. It's nice to know that I am not alone.

jade mangus said...

It is a difficult thing to accept, but it sounds like you have come to a place of acceptance. Acceptance brings peace, especially when we accept that the challenges of our lives are part of God's Will and that He will look out for us. Have peace and keep searching for light--which can be found through scripture and prayer.

jade mangus said...

It is a difficult thing to accept, but it sounds like you have come to a place of acceptance. Acceptance brings peace, especially when we accept that the challenges of our lives are part of God's Will and that He will look out for us. Have peace and keep searching for light--which can be found through scripture and prayer.